Tuesday 7 June 2016

Hello London: A Poem

Moving to a new city
So many people have done this before
This isn’t even my first time
Yet still it isn’t easy

There are a thousand things which could move us on
But to live someplace new is to leave an old place behind
I was lucky enough to love my old home
But now I am an uprooted tree, wondering if I’ll be able to grow roots again

The thing is that
To say goodbye
Is to risk the possibility of no reunion
My heart is scattered, with pieces left in a million places

Yet I feel the value of connecting and belonging
Is not in how long it lasts
But in how beautiful it gets
Oh may it get beautiful again

So here I am starting over
Even if it means loving some place new just to lose it all later  
But to say hello,
Is to risk hatred and rejection

I am not easy to love
Are any of us really?
We all come with our own layers of fear and anger
But deep within us all is a heart ready to poor out love

And the pain we stumble into on our journeys
Is really nothing new for us humans,
Who overcome and again and again
Who roll out of bed even with a heavy head

And we put one foot in front of the other
A thousand scattered hearts looking to connect
We are never truly alone
And one way or another we’ll be ok

So Hello London, I am new here.
New to this city life
And new to buildings big enough
To make a human seem minuscule.
I am new here,
But I come with open arms
Ready for all you may give
And ready to live through more loss

Oh London
For better or for worse
Come what may, here am I


Will you take me as I am? 

No comments:

Post a Comment