Tuesday 7 June 2016

Spiderweb: Poetic Prose

I am walking just before dusk. My shoes tap over a worn wooden bridge which glows almost orange in the not yet setting sun. Sunshine seems to be everywhere right now. It makes the red buildings glow, it bursts out from between the trees, and it sparkles like diamonds on the river. It seems like too much glory for the earth to contain. Maybe this is why it is about to leave us for the night. It strikes me as strange that this earth gets brighter before it gets darker.

Something is glistening. Even in all this shine it manages to catch my eye: a simple spider web. It shines in the sun as an intricate design woven tough and strong by a tiny insect. I am reminded of something I heard once about the strength created by the web’s pattern of design. It is hard to believe when considering the thinness of each strand, or the fact that, with one hand, I could destroy the whole thing and its master too. Is it strong or weak, this spider web? In these thoughts I am reminded of myself and I keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment